Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Chapter 48.1: New Shoes

Perhaps it’s left over from when I was a kid in school, but I got new shoes yesterday and my whole perspective seems different now. No, they’re not making me taller than I really am, or anything like that. But my feet feel much more comfortable, and that seems to be enough today.

I’m not one for flashy shoes, and I don’t particularly care for shoes that look appropriate for working in an office. But the pair of Deer Stags I have on my thankful feet have that look. I’ll tolerate it because they’re so darn comfortable. They have extra padding inside, and after running 14.5 miles over the past week (not a record, but a lot for me), I’m grateful for the soothing squishiness of this pair of shoes.

Also new today is my first hire. I’ve got a new writer starting for me, a recent graduate of the Columbia University journalism program. His name is Mark Allwood, and I’m expecting great things from him. He doesn’t exactly have to put his shoe leather to the ground in this electronic information age, but he’ll have things to do. Good luck, Mark.

No comments: