Sunday, September 24, 2006

Chapter 49.1: Running Fool

I can claim to be a runner again. Last weekend, I ran in the Cow Harbor 10k in Northport, overlooking Long Island Sound. It's a tough route, with a good-sized hill between miles one and two. Unlike the person who won the race, I wasn't looking to set any records. I was able to finish in under an hour, which was my personal goal; I averaged a 9:34 mile. Not great, but given the course and my current level of training, I'll take it.

The people of Northport were great, doling out water at their own makeshift stations and offering their misting hoses on the side of the road. There was even a family of people dressed up as cows, which was amusing after 4 miles. I don't know if I'll do this race again next year or not (I'm leaning toward yes, especially if there's still a beer truck at the end like there was this year!), but if nothing else, i'm adding racing to my 2007 resolutions.

No comments: