Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Chapter 48.6: Primary School

I don't remember last year's election, but since it was an odd-year off election there was probably little to recall. This year, the stakes are a bit higher. But I live in an area where surprisingly little is happening in the primaries. The NY senatorial race between Hillary Clinton and a bag of elephant dung is hardly noteworthy; Eliot Spitzer seems to have won the gubernatorial in 2005 and held up on taking over the governor's mansion until Pataki declares he's running for vice president or another organ acts up on him -- whichever comes first.

Of course, the NY attorney general's race is a bit of a dog-fight, particularly between Andrew Cuomo and Mark Green. I don't have a dog in that hunt, but I respect other people's polar-opposite opinions.

In New Jersey, Menendez vs. Kean (who Republican friends of mine call "a bumbler") is less exciting than watching paint dry. But that's not a primary.

Which makes primary day here in the metropolitan area decidedly uninteresting. I was barely accosted at the train stations "reminding" me to vote in districts where I have no right to do so.

I'm sure there'll be more to hear while switching channels on the television over the next eight weeks or so, but for an important election with the emergence of real vitriol among the proletariat, I'm surprised at how dull the political theater is around here.

No comments: