Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Chapter 25: That's a Lot of Potatoes

I happened upon an amazing statistic while looking up a U.S. Senator today. Who do you think had the most overwhelming victory in this year's elections? Well, unless you live near the land of potatoes, you'd probably never guess it's Sen. Mike Crapo (he pronounces it CRAY poe, by the way, though he acknowledged on his Web site that it's a source of amusement for some.)

He won with 99.5 percent of the vote. I think only Saddam Hussein ever got a higher percentage of the electorate. I'm not trying to make ANY connection there; I write that only for the humor value (little though it may be). Less than 3,000 people voted for his Democratic challenger. I'd expect that fewer people than usual voted there, at least for the senator, since there was obviously little chance the senator wouldn't get re-elected, but it's still an impressive whipping he gave his challenger.

I guess the people of Idaho are mighty proud of their junior senator. I may have to look up this guy's record to see why he's so popular with Idaho voters.

No comments: